The Blumenthal Daily
Welcome to The Blumenthal Daily!
Every day, we’ll be posting something new for you to enjoy from the comfort and safety of your own home. Check back on this page, or follow us on Facebook, to see what we’re sharing. You'll find local Charlotte artists, Broadway stars and more. This page will be updated daily with fresh and fun content. Content will be archived here as well.
Tuesday, May 26
Yesterday afternoon, Blumenthal President Tom Gabbard hopped on a call with RDU on Stage to chat about his own personal experience with COVID-19, what reopening could look like for touring markets and what type of safety precautions we might be able to learn from South Korea. Check out the informative and hopeful interview below!
The Daily Archives:
Monday, May 25
Monday, May 25
This Memorial Day, we remember and honor the heroes who have served and made the ultimate sacrifice.
ICYMI: Tony Award-winner Joe Mantegna and Emmy Award-winner Gary Sinise hosted a special presentation of PBS' National Memorial Day Concert: America's Night of Remembrance with performances by Cynthia Erivo, Kelli O'Hara, Christopher Jackson and more. Watch the full broadcast below.
Sunday, May 24
Saturday, May 23
Everything will be alright!
The National Tour cast of Falsettos reunited to perform "A Day in Falsettoland" with a special appearance by Chip Zien, who originated the role of Mendel in the original 1992 Broadway production. Check it out!
Friday, May 22
Thursday, May 21
Need a good laugh? Our friends Amy Wilson and Margaret Ables with the What Fresh Hell podcast are back with another all-too-relatable video for our quarantine parents out there. Check it out!
Wednesday, May 20
Our friends at Tosco Music recently partnered with Charlotte Center City Partners’ Music Everywhere CLT and the Fair Play Music Initiative to launch a FREE virtual Tosco Music Party. The hour-long event has already raised over $20,000 (!!) in funds for the Charlotte Music Community COVID-19 Relief Fund.
You can watch the first Virtual Tosco Music Party below, as well as John Tosco's interview with Charlotte is Creative where he talks about how it all came together.
We sure do look forward to when we can host a jubilant Tosco Music Party in our Knight Theater again!
Tuesday, May 19
Tuesday, May 19
Attention Phantom Phans!
ICYMI: The Phantom Worldwide company brought The Phantom of the Opera home for all of its fans with a very special performance of ‘Masquerade’. Enjoy!
Monday, May 18
Sunday, May 17
Sunday, May 17
New Adventures productions, in your home.
We are so excited to share that for the first time, four award-winning titles from New Adventures — Swan Lake, Romeo and Juliet, The Car Man and Cinderella —have become available to rent and purchase for digital download online. As an added bonus, you can get a 20% discount on your purchases by signing up for the New Adventures mailing list! Head to their website for more information: new-adventures.net/reel-adventures#on-the-small-screen
Saturday, May 16
Saturday, May 16
"Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise!"
Check out “Bringing It Home” from our friends at Les Miserables! This specially created featurette includes footage of the stars at their homes talking about their experiences with this incredible show plus never before seen backstage footage!
Friday, May 15
Hey all you cool cats and kittens...
ICYMI: Blumenthal's Season Ticket Marketing Manager Kitty Janvrin joined QC Mornings yesterday to chat about all things National Geographic Live. This popular series gives a unique look into the natural world with thought-provoking presentations by today's leading explorers, scientists and photographers. Check out her interview below then click here for more info!
Thursday, May 14
"Hello, how ya been?"
Sketch artist Laura Bonacci recently shared her INCREDIBLE custom illustrations of scenes from Hadestown, A Strange Loop, Falsettos, and more with Playbill. We love how Bonacci captures the unique spirit of Broadway through her art. You can check out a few of our favorites below!
Dear Evan Hansen (Laura Bonacci)
Oklahoma! (Laura Bonacci)
Hadestown's Persiphone (Laura Bonacci)
Browse more of her showstopping artwork HERE.
Wednesday, May 13
- Last week, rising opera star Melinda Whittington joined our friends at WFAE for the latest installment of Songversations with Joni Deutsch. We are absolutely loving this new video series that features live music and interviews with Charlotte musicians from the comfort of home. Check it out!
Tuesday, May 12
- Do we have any Ben Platt fans in the house? Check out the newly released trailer for the Dear Evan Hansen Tony winner and The Politician star's Radio City Music Hall concert on Netflix! The must-see special will begin streaming on May 20.
Monday, May 11
- Last night, ABC aired Volume II of "The Disney Family Singalong" and we've added two of our favorite clips below! Watch Disney on Broadway stars sing "You'll Be In My Heart," and then Idina Menzel and Ben Platt give us a whole new version of "A Whole New World."
Sunday, May 10
- Happy Mother's Day to all the moms, grandmothers and maternal figures out there! Today, the Broadway community is coming together to give everyone the Mother's Day matinee we all need! Join Broadway stars, their children, and their mothers for a celebratory explosion of musical numbers, comedy, special guests, and lots of surprises. Visit THIS LINK to stream the special at 3 PM ET.
- Check out this blog post highlighting the strong and powerful mothers featured in the Broadway shows coming to Charlotte next season.
Saturday, May 9
- A Blumey Awards Salute is coming soon! Tune in to PBS Charlotte on Tuesday, May 12 at 8 p.m. to help us celebrate the local students who were set to perform in high schoool musicals around the region. In the meantime, we challenged theater teachers and musical directors to take on the #ILoveMyCast challenge. Check out the videos of encouragement and gratitude below.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Blumenthal Performing Arts made the difficult decision to cancel this year’s high school musical theater awards ceremony, originally scheduled for May 18 at Belk Theater. Sponsored by Wells Fargo, “A Blumey Awards Salute: Performances From Yesterday & Today” will feature performances from past Blumey Awards ceremonies and videos from students who would have been part of this year’s awards.
Friday, May 8
- Several original and longtime RENT cast members performed a special virtual version of "Finale B" to honor frontline workers. We dare you to watch this without smiling and/or crying!
RENT returns to Charlotte next year as part of our all-new Equitable Bravo Series. Click here for more info.
Thursday, May 7
Wednesday, May 6
Wednesday, May 6
- Carole King, yes THAT Carole, took to her Facebook page to encourage us all and give us a live snippet of "So Far Away," which seems very fitting right now.
Tuesday, May 5
- Chris Mann, who you might remember as "Phantom" in the most recent production of The Phantom of the Opera to come through Charlotte, has created a few parodies to help us all get through the quarantine. Check them out below!
"Hello (from the Inside)"
Monday, May 4
- What if you wondered into your AP U.S. History class one day and discovered that Tony Award winner and Broadway star Lin-Manuel Miranda was your substitute teacher? You're about to find out what that'd be like! Watch below as he talks about using history and specific research methods to build the blockbuster Hamilton.
Saturday, May 2
- The National Theatre's next full-length production is now streaming for a limited time. Check out Benedict Cumberbatch and Johnny Lee Miller in a stage adaptation of Frankenstein. This filmed performance is recommended for ages 12 and up.
Friday, May 1
- "Stars in the House," a daily live-streamed series to support The Actors Fund and its services, was created and is hosted by SiriusXM host Seth Rudetsky and producer James Wesley. They've had some amazing guest stars from Broadway to film to TV, including several virtual reunions of cast members from iconic TV shows. A few of those reunions are below. You can browse clips and full episodes of "Stars in the House" HERE.
This is Us
Thursday, April 30
- Les Misérables fans are in for a treat today! Actors from mulitple companies of this fan-favorite musical have joined together to perform a virtual version of the showstopper "One Day More."
Wednesday, April 29
- Our festival stages have featured some of the best talent Charlotte has to offer, including Chócala, a Charlotte-based Latin band who recently performed an hour-long show for Music at the Mansion, a special concert series celebrating North Carolina’s vibrant and diverse musical traditions hosted by First Lady Kristin Cooper. You can check out their full performance below.
Tuesday, April 28
The internet is currently raving about two star-studded collaborations that happened recently!
- Andrea McArdle, who originated the role of "Annie" on Broadway, leads a version of "Tomorrow" with famous friends like Sarah Jessica Parker, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Molly Ringwald, Ana Gasteyer and more!
- Christine Baranski, Audra McDonald and Meryl Streep joined forces to perform "The Ladies Who Lunch" for the 90th Birthday Celebration for Stephen Sondheim. Check out the clip below or watch the full program HERE.
Monday, April 27
- To thank all of the frontline workers who are the superheroes in our current situation, Wicked has released a special version of "For Good." Grab the tissues.
Wicked is playing Ovens Auditorium this fall and tickets are available now with our new Equitable Bravo Series. Click here for more info.
Saturday, April 25 & Sunday, April 26
- In case you missed it, we debuted the first-ever Q&A with BPA this week. WBTV's Kristen Miranda interviewed Blumenthal President Tom Gabbard and asked him questions submitted by our fans. Check it out below to learn more about how we build our Broadway season, the shows we're bringing next season and some really cool subscriber perks.
Friday, April 24
The next performance is now available to stream on The Shows Must Go On! Check out Love Never Dies, Andrew Lloyd Webber's sequel to The Phantom of the Opera. Set 10 years later, the Phantom has escaped from Paris to New York where he lives amongst the joy rides and freak shows of Coney Island. The show can be streamed now through Sunday at 2 PM ET.
Thursday, April 23
BRAVO to the incredibly talented cast of South Pointe High School's production of Mamma Mia! They were set to participate in our yearly Blumey Awards wiith this production. Here's a message from the school: "Three days before our opening of Mamma Mia, our schools were closed due to COVID-19. But this has not deterred our spirit! It has only delayed our opening (Yes! we will still perform just as soon as our doors are open!). In the meantime, we put together our favorite group number from the bows to share with all of you!"
- Extra, extra! Stay tuned for an exciting Blumey Awards announcement very soon...
Wednesday, April 22
- Our friends at WFAE and Amplifier podcast host Joni Deutsch have launched a new video series called Songversations, featuring live music and interviews with Charlotte musicians from the comfort of home. They'll be presented live on the WFAE Facebook page Tuesdays and Thursdays at noon. Check out the latest episode featuring Brit Dozda below.
Tuesday, April 21
- The National Theatre has made a recent stage production of Treasure Island available for free! A little bit about the show: "It's a dark and stormy night. The stars are out. Jim, the inn-keeper's granddaughter, opens the door to a terrifying stranger. At the old sailor's feet sits a huge sea-chest, full of secrets. Jim invites him in – and her dangerous voyage begins." It's perfect for famiiles with children 10 and up!
Monday, April 20
- Our friends at Charlotte Ballet have launched @Home with Charlotte Ballet to bring full-length performances into your home. The second installment, the digital premiere of Essence in Numbers by Sarah Hayes Harkins, is below.
- Bonus content! Always wanted to perfect the ballet bun? Let Charlotte Ballet Academy dancer Sabriyya Dean teach you!
For more awesome content from Charlotte Ballet, be sure follow them on Facebook.
Saturday, April 18 & Sunday, April 19
- In case you missed it, the Celebrating 25 Magical Years of Disney on Broadway concert was live streamed last night and you can stiill watch it below! Featured performers include Adam Pascal, Christian Borle, Sherie Rene Scott, Krysta Rodriguez, Gavin Creel and more.
Friday, April 17
- Attention Jazz fans! Our friends at Jazz at Lincoln Center recently streamed a musical event called the "Worldwide Concert for Our Culture," their online gala with Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis and special performances by Baqir Abbas, Brussels Jazz Orchestra, Chano Dominguez, Dianne Reeves, WDR Big Band and more. Get your live jazz fix with the video below.
Thursday, April 16
Always dreamed of being a Broadway dancer? Your wish is granted!
- The Broadway cast of Disney's Aladdin is here to teach you a little "Arabian Nights" choreoography.
- Looking for the perfect at home workout while learning some classic Broadway choreo? Try these cardio dance workouts by Joseph Corella set to songs from Mean Girls!
Mean Girls comes to the Queen City in the 2020-2021 Broadway season as part of our PNC Broadway Lights Series. Click here to explore all the shows you have to look forward to next season.
Wednesday, April 15
The cast of Ain't Too Proud is here to brighten your hump day! We're thrilled to be bringing this hit show to Charlotte and we can't wait for its Belk Theater debut April 27-May 2, 2021.
Ain't Too Proud comes to the Queen City in the 2020-2021 Broadway season as part of our PNC Broadway Lights Series. Click here to explore all the shows you have to look forward to next season.
Tuesday, April 14
Today's the day of the crooners!
- In case you missed it, Andrea Bocelli performed a special virtual Easter concert live at the Duomo di Milano in Italy. Check it out below.
- Josh Groban has launched a new series called #ShowerSongs in which he brings messages of hope and special performances from, you guessed it, his shower! Check out his perfromance of "You'll Never Walk Alone" in the second episode.
- Harry Connick Jr. launched a special web series called "Hunker Down with Harry" in which he has special guests, shares his favorite viral videos of the moment and even sings! Check out one of the episodes below.
Monday, April 13
Our friends at the Charlotte Symphony have launched #CSOatHome to offer up past CSO performances, listening guides, educational materials, and more. We encourgae you to head over and explore their page. In the meantime, check out CSO Principal Second Violinist performing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" to brighten your day!
Saturday, April 11 & Sunday, April 12
Happy streaming! We've compiled a list of excellent streaming options for your Holiday weekend.
- The next musical on Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Shows Must Go On! YouTube channel is now streaming for a limited time. Check out Jesus Christ Superstar featuring Tim Minchin, Mel C and more!
- London's National Theatre is streaming a different production each week in a series called National Theatre at Home. This week, they're featuring an adaptation of the classic Jane Eyre. *There is some strong language.
- In celebration of Passover, a long list of Broadway stars are joining in a digital "Saturday Night Seder" on Saturday, April 11 at 8 PM ET to help raise funds for the CDC. Guests include Bette Midler, Ben Platt, Idina Menzel, Billy Porter, Fran Drescher, Dan Levy and more! Click here for more info.
- Playbill.com is currently streaming Bandstand, which won a 2017 Tony Award for Andy Blankenbuehler's choreography and stars Tony nominee Laura Osnes and Corey Cott, for a small fee to help support The Actors Fund. Click here for more info.
- Mike Birbiglia's The New One, which opened our 2019-20 PNC Brooadway Lights series is now available on Netflix. Birbiglia talks about how he never really planned to be a father, and brings some levity and humor to the joys of parenthood.
- For all you former thespians with fond memories of your high school musical, check out Encore! on Disney+. Kristen Bells hosts the show and reunites casts of high school musicals to recreate them years later. It's full of funny characters and emotional reunions, and is guaranteed to make you reminisce.
Friday, April 10
- To honor all of the food bank workers and volunteers who are helping to feed America during this crisis, several current and former stars of Disney Broadway shows performed a virtual version of "Go the Distance" from Hercules.
- DON'T MISS! The November 2019 Celebrating 25 Magical Years of Disney on Broadway concert will be live streamed Monday, April 13 at 7 PM ET to raise money for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS’ COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Fund. Click here for more info.
Thursday, April 9
The cast of the '90s sitcom The Nanny, starring Fran Drescher, reunited this week for a vrtual table read of their hilarious pilot episode. It was announced earlier this year that the hit show was being worked into a Broadway musical by producers Scott and Brian Zeilinger, whose other shows include Dear Evan Hansen and Mean Girls! Who's ready to hear that iconic laugh and see those loud outfits live on stage?
Wednesday, April 8
James Corden is one of our favorite champions for Broadway and the performing arts. A Tony Award-winner himself, Corden frequently features Broadway stars and performances on his late night talk show. Today, we're rounding up some of our favorite musical moments from The Late Late Show with James Corden!
A Star-Studded Broadway Carpool Karaoke
22 Musicals in 12 Minutes
Soundtrack to a Bromance with Ben Platt
Crosswalk the Musical: Frozen
Tuesday, April 7
Today, the worldwide cast of Beautiful: The Carole King Musical is here to remind you that "You've Got a Friend."
Monday, April 6
Actor John Krasinksi has launched a new YouTube channel called Some Good News to lift everyone's spirits! Episode 2 features the orignal Broadway cast of Hamilton (which is coming back to Charlotte next January!) performing a virtual version of the musical's title track.
Sunday, April 5
We're looking forward to a spectacular season! We’re thrilled to finally reveal our 2020-21 Broadway Season! With 17 shows, it’s our biggest season yet and includes the highly anticipated returns of HAMILTON and WICKED! Because this season is so big, we’re offering TWO season subscription options, which include our premier PNC Broadway Lights Series and a new, one-time-only Equitable Bravo Series. Check out all the amazing show headed your way in the video below.
Season Tickets to both series are available NOW! For more information, visit: BlumenthalArts.org/20-21Broadway
Saturday, April 4
Come From Away played Belk Theater this January as part of our PNC Broadway Lights series to sold-out crowds who were moved by the show's uplifting message about community and how we're stronger when we all come together at a challenging time. Watch as cast members join talented ladies from all over the world in a virtual version of "Me and the Sky" from the hit Broadway show.
It's another virtual collaboration! Check out this stirring rendition of "Bring Him Home" by Alfie Boe, Ramin Karimloo, John Owen-Jones, David Shannon and more.
Friday, April 3
The Shows Must Go On! is the name of an aptly named YouTube channel that will stream a different hit musical every week. As of today at 2 p.m. ET, Andrew Lloyd Webber's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, starring Donny Osmond, will be available for 48 hours. We hope you'll "go, go" and check it out!
Thursday, April 2
Who's ready to laugh? Charlotte-based comedian Tara Brown has graced Blumenthal stages as part of our Queen City Comedy Experience and is a frequent performer at Blumenthal's Open Mic Nights. CharlotteFive.com named her as one of “The Standup Comedians You Need to Know in Charlotte;” while Queen City Nerve named her as “Best Comedian” for 2019 in their “Best of the Nest Readers’ Picks.” In addition, Tara is the most recent winner of the “Jeanne Robertson’s Comedy with Class Humor Competition.” Her comedy is relatable and fun for the whole family! Check out a few clips below.
Wednesday, April 1
Here's to these heroes of social distancing! Check out this incredible virtual performance from Cuthbertson High School's cast of Big Fish! These talented students were supposed to begin performances this past weekend and be judged for our Blumey Awards, but they still found a way to break all the legs! Check it out below.
The remarkable story of how this video came together is HERE.