Season Spotlight: Jesus Christ Superstar
In this week's season spotlight, we take a closer look at the revival of Jesus Christ Superstar, direct from its lauded West End play.
- Winner: 2017 Olivier Award for Best Musical Revival
- Winner: 1971 Billboard Album of the Year
- Nominated for the 1972 Tony Award for Best Original Score and four additional Tonys
Largely told from the perspective of Judas, the rock opera chronicles the final days in the life of Jesus Christ. As the hype around Jesus grows, Judas begins to worry that Jesus' message is being lost, leading to a betrayal of biblical proportions.
The Creative Team
- Direction: Timothy Sheader (To Kill a Mockingbird Regent's Park production, Porgy and Bess Regent's Park production)
- Choreography: Drew McOnie (King Kong, On the Town Regent's Park production)
- Music: Andrew Lloyd Webber (The Phantom of the Opera, Cats)
- Lyrics: Tim Rice (Aida, The Lion King)
What's the Buzz?
Timothy Sheader's grungy, minimalist revival of Jesus Christ Superstar translates the hit 70's musical into the modern era. Fans of rock as well as traditional Broadway fans will revel in the industrial urban landscape presented onstage.