Series Spotlight: WICKED
Thank goodness! Broadway's most "popular" show returns to the Queen City as part of the Equitable Bravo Series. More than fifteen years after its high-flying Broadway opening, Wicked continues to be one of the most successful modern musicals.
Based on Gregory Maguire's novel of the same name (which in turn was inspired by the classic The Wizard of Oz), Wicked flies audiences back to the Land of Oz to discover how the infamous Wicked Witch of the West went from an emerald-skinned academic to "the wickedest witch that ever was." Young Elphaba is a social outcast due to the unique hue of her skin until her relationship to her bubbly, blonde roommate Glinda becomes a fully-fledged friendship. Together, they navigate the muddled politics of Oz and discover who they must become.
- 2004 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Musical
- 2004 Tony Award for Best Costume Design (Play or Musical)
- 2004 Tony Award for Scenic Design (Play or Musical)
- Nominated for 10 Tony Awards in 2004
- Book by Winnie Holzman ("My So-Called Life")
- Music and Lyrics by Stephen Schwartz (Pippin, Godspell)
Everything That Truly Counts to be Popular
Want a peak behind the Wizard's curtain? Here are some astounding numbers from the production:
- There are 68,200 sequins on Glinda's bubble dress
- Want to try Elphaba's signature look? The emerald color is MAC's green chromacake makeup.
- The skirt of Elphaba's Wicked Witch dress is comprised of 37 different fabrics to give it dimension and movement from the stage.
- Throughout one performance, there are 226 costume changes.
- The production uses a unique blend of bubble fluid. We really can't all come and go by bubble...
Wicked is part of the Equitable Bravo Series. Season Tickets are available now.