Mary Doctor Scholarship
The Mary Doctor Performing Arts Scholarship Fund was established in honor of Mary Doctor, an astute Charlotte area business owner and a tremendous supporter of young people and Blumenthal Performing Arts.
At the discretion of the Mary Doctor Performing Arts Scholarship Committee, up to two Charlotte Region, high school seniors are selected each year to receive annually renewable scholarships of up to $10,000 each.
Scholarship recipients are selected among applicants who demonstrate:
- significant financial need
- above-average ability and great interest in one or more areas of the performing arts
- apparent potential for a successful career in the arts
- desire to enrich the lives of others through the arts
- acceptance by a university or college with an established performing arts program
- plans to pursue an undergraduate degree in a performing arts discipline (e.g. music, dance, theatre, technical theatre, arts administration, arts education, etc.)
- resides in one of the qualifying Charlotte-area counties
2021 Mary Doctor Performing Arts Scholarship Important Dates
- April 25: Application deadline
- May 3: Application status notice; Presentation slots scheduled for accepted applicants
- May 8: Audtion & portfolio presentations
- May 10: Award recipient notification
A performance provides a slice of time where we forget about race, war, poverty and the myriad of things in life that can seem daunting. For that moment we all come together and we are one. My hope is for this scholarship to encourage those with a special talent to keep the arts alive and to never have them fade away.