Gordon Hay Scholarship
The Gordon Hay Scholarship Fund is a merit-based scholarship established in memory of Gordon Hay, an organizational development professional, who was passionate about transformational change through authentic engagement of people’s hearts and minds in the strategic work of business. He believed passion and fire from within fueled exceptional results.
Each year the Gordon Hay Scholarship Committee will select one exceptional Charlotte Region student to receive a one-time award in the amount of $5,000.
The 2021 Gordon Hay Scholarship application is now available.
The annual recipient is one who:
- Plans to pursue a non-performing career in theater*
- Exemplifies a strong pursuit of personal excellence
- Exhibits commitment to community engagement
- Demonstrates artistic or technical accomplishment
- Has a record of scholarly achievement
- Is a current high school senior, college freshman, or college sophomore
Though a merit-based scholarship, preference may be shown to a student with financial need.
2021 Gordon Hay Scholarship Important Dates
- May 31: Application deadline
- June 21: Application status notice; Presentation slots scheduled for accepted applicants
- June 26: Virtual portfolio presentations
- June 20: Award recipient notification
The award is designed for special learning opportunities related to the recipient’s career interest in a non-performing area within the performing arts. Examples include but are not limited to professional conferences, seminars, workshops, participation in an unpaid internship program, professional performances, or technology needs.
The award will be administered by the Education Department of Blumenthal Performing Arts. To draw from the “award account,” the recipient must submit a simple but formal request to Blumenthal’s Education Department. It is possible for a recipient to utilize the entire award amount within the first year of college or to occasionally draw from the account as opportunities arise within a four-year undergraduate career. If the total amount of the award is not used during the undergraduate experience, the award recipient will not be entitled to a cash settlement upon graduation. Any amount remaining in the award account will be forfeited.
*The Gordon Hay Scholarship is intended for students planning a career in a non-performance area of theater including but not limited to: Play Writing; Set, Costume, Lighting or Sound Design; Arts Administration; Stage Management; Production Management; Technical Direction.